Can Alimony Be Modified or Terminated in Florida? | Kemp, Ruge and Green Law Group

When Results Matter

Request Free Consultation

Can Alimony Be Modified or Terminated in Florida?

Yes, it can. Depending on if the person who is paying the alimony, if they no longer have the same stream of income as to when they agree to pay that certain alimony amount, they can petition the court to have alimony reduced. Or, if the party that who is receiving alimony, if one gets knowledge that they are suddenly making a lot more money than they were before, and there’s no longer a need for the alimony, the alimony can be modified at that time. Typically, in cases where one of the parties dies, either the receiving spouse or the spouse who is making the alimony payments, alimony typical ends at that time. Or, if the receiving spouse remarries, it’s typically in a marital settlement agreement that upon remarriage, the alimony will end at that time.